With the Big Game a mere 8 days away, football fans everywhere have one thing on their minds: What am I going to eat while I watch the Super Bowl? I mean, let's face it. Cheering for your favorite team/half-time performer/commercial takes energy, so you need to have your culinary affairs in order to ensure a successful football fiesta.
I am excited to announce the very first Peanut Butter and Julie recipe contest, sponsored by Sam's Club! Do your hot wings clobber the competition? Are your famous ribs the stuff that tailgating legends are made of? A recipe for your signature Super Bowl snack, appetizer, or finger food could win you a $250 gift card from the folks at Sam's Club. That's enough to feed at least a few Green Bay Packers (or a whole bunch of your friends!)
A few days ago, Sam's Club was nice enough to contact me with an offer to sponsor my own on-line "showdown," for which they will award the winner a $250 Sam's Club gift card. The theme for this particular recipe competition is "Big Game Party Food," which could mean anything from Mini Roethlis-Burgers to Chili Con Cardinals. Need some inspiration? Check out a few of my recipes for game-day grub from last year: Super Bowl Sugar Cookies, and Antipasto Picnic Sandwiches. The follow are the specifics concerning this football foodie face-off:
- Recipes must be received by 12 noon Pacific Time on Saturday, January 31st. I know, I know--this only gives you one week. The good news is that we are looking for something simple and approachable with a unique creative twist, something that makes people say "I can do that.....so why didn't I think of that?"
- Your recipe should be original (I'm trusting all of you honest people on this one!) If your recipe is not selected, although I'm sure it was a close second, feel free to enter it in another contest. It is yours after all, not mine!
- You can either submit your recipe in the comments below this post, or you can email it to me directly at email@example.com .
- What makes a recipe Most Valuable? Ease, creativity, and a catchy name all help. Keep it appropriate to the theme too. In other words, save your Beef Wellington recipe for another contest.
- You may enter more than once if you are just brimming with ideas for half-time hors d'oeuvres.
- I will prepare, photograph, and post the winning recipe on Super Bowl Sunday.
- The gift card will be sent to the winner soon after the winning recipe is posted.
In lieu of my usual recipe preparation tips, the following are some tips to help you plan your Big Game bash and be an MVP host. These helpful hints are courtesy of Sam's Club and Shauna Wilcox, wife of Baltimore Ravens (so close guys!) Tight End Daniel Wilcox:
- Guests Play-Callers - Get your guests in on the action and invite party-goers to top their part of a pizza with delicious meats or veggies, or coordinate a "chili bar" where they can add their favorite finishing touches.
- Winning Combinations -After the main dishes are set, look for combinations like wings and ranch or bruschetta spread and bagel crisps. Keeping a wide array of food flowing is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- Create a Prime-time Lineup - Since most guests will be planted in front of the TV for much of the party, feature easy-to-eat foods. Finger foods, such as party trays and pizzas, are great choices to keep guests satisfied from the coin toss to the final seconds of the game.
- Friendly Competitions - A few games during the Big Game is a great way to keep the guests doubly entertained. Fun and easy activities such as asking guests to guess the score at half-time or the first half-time commercial will keep everyone involved - even those who aren't avid sports-watchers. Have a few small prizes like scratch-off lotto tickets and a larger prize like a gift of Membership to Sam's Club for game winners, as well.
Warm up those taste buds!
To help you select your game-day menu, on January 29-31 Sam's Club will be hosting a pre-game sampling event (c'mon, who doesn't love samples?) Future members are welcome to attend, and anyone who joins Sam's Club prior to February 1 will receive a $10 gift card. Hot wings with ranch sauce, a croissant sandwich party tray, and a custom football cupcake cake from the bakery are just a few of the many items that will be offered at this event!
Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to receiving your recipes!