This recipe is one that I always have on hand in my refrigerator. I used to make a traditional hummus, which is still a favorite, but this recipe is even easier to make, and usually takes me about 5 minutes to whip up. I am also a big fan of the spice cumin, which is a predominant flavor in this hummus (I usually end up doubling or tripling the amount indicated in the recipe). If you aren't familiar with cumin, chances are you will recognize it as soon as you taste it. It is used in many ethnic dishes, especially in Latin American, Moroccan, and Middle Eastern cooking. This would be a good healthy dip to serve for your guests along with pita chips (see note below) and crudites. A few notes:
- I originally made this recipe using a raw red pepper, which I charred, and then added to the other ingredients. It is MUCH easier to just buy the jar of roasted red peppers packed in water and estimate the equivalent of one pepper to add.
- Tahini is a sesame seed paste, which can usually be found in the ethnic foods or health foods aisles of your grocery store.
- This recipe keeps well for up to one week, so you can make a double (or triple!) batch.
- The hummus would also make a great spread for a vegetarian wrap or sandwich.
- Regarding the pita chips, my personal favorite kind is a brand that I recently discovered called Stacy's. If you haven't had the opportunity to try these, run, don't walk, to the nearest Costco (where they sell them in huge bags), Target, or Whole Foods and buy some. They come in several different flavors, but the best ones are the "Simply Naked" or plain. They taste oh-so-good with this hummus.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Makes about 2 cups
1 roasted red pepper (about 1/2 of a 12-ounce jar of roasted red peppers)
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 19-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
2 garlic cloves, quartered
Place bell pepper and all of the remaining ingredients in a food processor or mini chopper; process until smooth. Enjoy with pita chips or crudites.